Poor Treatment by Business Owner to Business Advisor costs company Thousands.

A business professional's adventure...

Much of what I do is done via the phone, email and screen share. But at times I will see corporate clients at their location. Yesterday when I was in an area I stopped in to drop off some materials about our service and met with what I felt was a "hostile" and at least minimally a "foolish" response.

Since I believe in second chances (and realize that not all business people know about the "Law of 250") I invested more time in composing a letter and a stamp to mail this business owner a second opportunity.

First, I will share here, my "Gift" which is my review of his action on an online business review site. (It's a gift if he finds it and modifies his behavior with vendors and advisors who visit his store in the future). I then will share my letter that I sent him the next day. I share this episode with you so you, dear reader, as a business "visitor" or "host" will treat one another with the respect that each of you deserves.

Here's my review (this is actually edited a bit to make appropriate for my Facebook page(s): 

I was in (Town name) MN today seeing other clients. I help business owners save money on their tax incentives and property taxes. We normally work with clients much bigger than this like Caterpillar and Toyota but I saw this hardware business and thought I'd stop in. When the gal at the counter told me that I should say hello to (Business owner's name), who was standing nearby, I said hello and I explained briefly what we do and he said he was going to just toss my paperwork and to basically leave. I would say he acted pretty rudely and has no idea that he probably threw away hundreds of thousands of dollars. I predict that if he treats every business advisor in this way that he probably won't be in business within 10 years. It never ceases to amaze me how many business owners do not know about the law of 250.

 Here's my follow-up letter that I sent the next day: 

Hello (Business Owner Name),

We had the “pleasure” of meeting each other yesterday at your place of business when I was in the area seeing other clients. It appeared that I must have caught you at a bad time.

My company typically works with companies much larger than yours but I was impressed with your building and stopped knowing that you most likely have monies which are owed you in property taxes. In the future, you may hear that our Stryde Solutions services may be available to you via (name of corporate "chain") on a corporate level in the future, but for now, we are seeing business owners one on one.

Since my visit caught you off guard when I wanted to drop off materials for your perusal and you (in a manner) declined, I wanted to offer you another opportunity since the paper you wanted to immediately throw away without reading cost me only pennies to produce but represents perhaps $100,000 or more to you in working capital. We find monies for our clients Caterpillar, Toyota, Big Boy Restaurants, and others every day and I know that we can do so for you as well. You stated that “you had this all covered” but if you did, I wouldn’t have been standing there in your store. Obviously, with the large transactions we do, I don’t waste my time on lost causes. Plus, I think you’d remember if your accountant or CPA handed you a check for $100,000 last tax season.  

So I’m sending you this communication, with the information sheet about how this will be your most important tax season ever; which I invite you to give to your accountant and he or she can contact me if you’d like.

Plus, I’m also including a “gift”, The Business Person’s Prayer, which has helped me as a business person of over 25 years.

Regardless of how you choose to act on this information, I wish you continued prosperity in the years to come.


Terry (Ter) Scott

QUESTION TO YOU, MY READER: By sending this letter to this person, am I "casting pearls before swine"?

By the way, the services I was speaking to my clients about (and ultimately trying to share with this store owner) is both the WOTC and Cost Seg Programs, which many business owners do think they "have taken care of" but sadly, after this year's taxes they will be sadly found mistaken. Of course, then it is too late, and yes, many tax professionals will be taken to task and lose these clients. 

You don't have to be among them. We've created a quick site for you to check things out yourself (or by all means, share with your tax professionals) for both WOTC and Cost Seg

Simply click on the appropriate images below. It only takes minutes to find out for yourself. 

Before hiring your next employee, check this out: (Click on Image).

Hire Right!

Share this with your tax professional, or don't wait and check it out yourself: (Click on image). 


Oh, and finally, I wanted to share this if you are still reading. 

Styrde is a national company and we're currently seeking professionals to join us; 
especially financial advisors such as accountants and CPAs. 

If you feel you may qualify, check here to see if your area is still available. 



No comments:

Post a Comment