Business Owner and Overwhelmed? This will help.

2.  Balance
This may seem contrary to the first point (READ HERE) , but only doing what we enjoy is unhealthy. Let’s use baseball as an example; if you are amazing as a first baseman then stick to it, hone that skill! That doesn’t mean leaving out all the things you may find lacking in enjoyment. We all see the play on ESPN that makes the highlight reel, but no one talks about the hours of training every day, the routine, diet, coaching, heat treatments, and ice baths that play out behind the scenes. Do you think ball players find that part enjoyable? Remember, there are numerous hours of hard work involved to make up 15 seconds of ESPN fame.
American culture is to avoid the things we dislike. We were not meant to avoid pain, in fact embracing the things we dislike or find painful make the things we do enjoy that much more satisfying. Imagine waking up every day in paradise, after a while every sunset is just a sunset; every wave is just a wave; and the relaxing sound of the ocean…fades away.
3.  Over-commitment
Top performers almost always struggle with this. We thrive on challenge, we enjoy being at the top of our game, and we dislike sitting in the back row whether it be at a networking event, the office, or even at church. This leads to over commitment. Not because we don’t know how to say no, but because we lack the ability to be a spectator. We see everything as what could be, and what we could contribute to it. For years I tried to figure out how to shut my brain off and just enjoy “participating”. Then I realized the real key is accepting the fact that I’m not a spectator and never will be. So, I have to limit the things I put myself in front of. I have to admit to myself, if I even attend a coaching group I will end up leading it. I have to enter every activity understanding that fact before I even choose to participate. I have to ask myself, “Am I willing to dedicate a significant portion of my time to this?” If the answer is no, I don’t get involved.
4. Prioritize
Start your day the right way. Many of us jump right into our email box and find ourselves hours later still trudging away; exhausted and having not completed anything of true importance. That’s because email is the art of fulfilling other peoples’ requests. You have to start your day the right way. List your work, AND THEN work your list. Only after doing this can you take control over your day. Once you have a list you can look through your email for additional tasks (which is all emails really are these days).
PRODUCTIVITY TIP: Now that you have a prioritized list, the old adage of “do what’s most important first” isn’t always the best approach. When looking at your tasks determine which ones will leave you energized, and which ones will leave you exhausted? Arrange your tasks by doing energizing tasks first, and then build from that momentum to tackle more draining tasks. Be honest with yourself, there are some tasks that once completed you are just “mentally done” for the day. I always schedule those meetings/tasks for the very end of the day so that I have the energetic momentum of the entire day behind me backing me up (and so I can go home afterwards, as I know I am going to be “done”).
5. Routine
It takes 21 days to develop a habit and only 2 – 3 to get out of one. You need to have control over your day, something you can rely on. Our minds have to be kick started. We are forced to make hundreds if not thousands of decisions on a daily basis. By having a routine you are telling your brain to fire up and pointing it in the right direction. Having and sticking to a routine naturally leads to a more organized day. Once you have established a routine, it becomes automatic; you will start performing tasks without realizing it. So, you get done what needs to be done even while your mind is occupied with other things.
(This article was previously published by GMG). 

You may also be interested in:

How An Overlooked Social Media Site
Sent Me Over 10,000 Visitors This Month
& I Rarely Ever Even Logged In



How I generate over 1,000 free,

targeted leads every single month,

automatically.






No comments:

Post a Comment