How and why completely "own" a media so your competitor can not.

A restaurant owner purchases a building used by a previous competitor and sells it with the stipulation that the building can never be a restaurant.  Or, let's it sit vacantly or use it for storage; anything so a competitor can not use it? Is this ruthless or “Smart marketing”?

I’d like to share a thought with my “followers”, “students” and clients, as you may think of yourself.

If you have an opportunity to “own” a media, you want to “own” it. In marketing, if you run radio ads, you want to have more ads than your competition. If you have billboards, you want the most billboards in the area. Remember Yellow Pages; the “print version”. When having an ad in the Yellow Pages you wanted the biggest ad and have it at the top of the page and the right side page. If you are reading this and you will adapt any of what I’ve just told you, you will add profit to your business. (When I partner with a business and offer this consultative advice I usually get a percentage of the growth in profit so you reading this, you are welcome).

So here’s my point. In media “own it”. So let’s say that I speak to you offering Welcome Wagon’s exclusivity. First, I would not reach out to you or would politely refuse your request if you reached out to me unless your business offers an excellent reputation, integrity, and service to your customer. We won’t settle for less. Now when your business passes that “test”, why should your business be the exclusive recommendation by Welcome Wagon in your area?


Recently I spoke to a prospective Welcome Wagon partner that felt that “direct mail” is “dead” to the younger, more hip crowd who are their customer and that they have the digital part taken care of.

First direct mail is not dead, to any generation; especially for smart marketers using it wisely. And with digital, you really can’t have it totally taken care of. Does anyone really know the total size of the Internet? I like what someone told me, “With the internet and social marketing (and I think with all marketing) you should use multiple ways on multiple days”.

But, I never try to change someone’s mind when it comes to almost anything with marketing. I am a consultant; not a salesperson and I know that as America’s #1 Business Consultant offering Advocacy, Branding, and Cash Flow Strategies that over time most business people work with my firm in one way or another. I educate.

Now let’s get back to my point about exclusivity. When someone offers you “exclusivity” with a marketing program, POUNCE ON IT! If the program doesn’t make sense, make it make sense; or at least exhaust every area in seeing how you can make it work. Why? Because you can OWN IT.

Did you know that large companies do this to capture and own a bigger part of the market share? Find out the cost of this marketing program to be exclusive before saying “no”. Sometimes it is worth it if only to keep your competitor from getting it. So the next time someone offers you exclusivity with their program, if the company and program are legit (and Welcome Wagon has been helping to market business since 1928), consider long and hard before you literally give the opportunity away to a competitor when you had the opportunity to say “yes” first. Take the program, it's “cheap” enough and you’ll lock in your exclusivity; and OWN IT. (Yes, I am yelling).

BTW, please know that I am not speaking for Welcome Wagon here in any official capacity. I’m speaking to business people who want to “wake up” to new ideas and old principles which will always work when they are adapted and “tweaked” a bit to work with updated advertising vehicles.

Would you like to get a no-fee, no-obligation,  30-minute business consult with Yours Truly? Use the contact form and you’ll get a reply with optional time slots from which you can choose.


Own a business located anywhere in the USA? Are you a salesperson or are you in direct sales with your own business? Welcome Wagon is such an inexpensive way to tell new movers about you and what you do offering many marketing options. Please contact me and let's do a short Zoom session so you can see for yourself. 


Would you like to work with your local business owners to offer them the same awesome Welcome Wagon marketing that I'm talking about? Would you like flexibility in your schedule? Work mostly from home via Zoom if you want? If so, use the information below and I look forward to chatting with you. 





 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment