Don't take customers for granted, or they'll take business elsewhere.

Taking Customers “For Granted” 

is not Poor Customer Service; 

it’s NO CUSTOMER Service.

(Feel free to print this and publish in your newsletter or send to your customer with an apology or note that you hope that if he or she feels she has been “taken for granted” that you will to whatever it takes to fix the situation immediately!).

Some of us dismiss the “old” books in favor of the next best thing and what’s on the latest Amazon Best Seller list, but I also love the classics like Think and Grow Rich, the Bible and so many others. 

My library includes many books circa the early 1900s through the sixties and I find them rich with wisdom and a reflection of time when people’s hearts were set on entrepreneurship and business growth. Where we are today in the business world (as with almost any area) is because we rest on the shoulders of the philosophies of those who have gone before us. Those who came before us learned by trial and error so we don’t have to; however, I find that many of us, myself included, do not take advantage of what is laid before us and recorded in books and other technology that could make our “work” so much easier.

I mentioned the business world above but this business “world” also has many segments as it’s been said that the business person wears many hats. In my business consulting, I offer advice about each as to what they are, when and where to wear them, and mostly how. Those hats include leadership, time management, marketing, and customer service to list just a few. Today I want you to put on your customer service hat and join me for a walk down the street and which will actually be a lane; history lane.

Our lesson came to me from one of the “old” books I talked about which covers ways to have power with people. I’ll talk as we walk to the nearest gas station and we’ll grab a cup of coffee and sit down. You see this gas station is a far cry from what we used to call a “service” station. The point I’ll get across to you today will be about service; customer service that is, which you can use regardless if your product is gas or chili at your “greasy spoon” restaurant.

If you’re not offended by the term “greasy spoon” then I know you are of the age where you may remember when gas stations were service stations. I never thought it as a bad thing for my favorite mom and pop restaurant being called greasy; it was just a neutral term to me. Service stations were just that; all about "service". When you pulled in an attendant rushed out and put the nozzle into your car’s tank, lifted the hood and checked the oil, closed it and wiped your windshield and some would even do a quick vacuum or brush out the dirt from the driver’s side floor. I don’t have to tell you that things have changed for sure! 

As we take sip from our coffees, I comment on the excellent customer service presented by the staff at this modern day station which always brings us back as a loyal customer.

So after that backstory, I’ll share another story which was told in one of my “old” books; about how to lose a customer with bad or no customer service. Understand that this was “back in the day” but I want you to translate it to how it relates to today’s time, and especially to your business.

A man who was a faithful customer at a service station was going to leave and take his business elsewhere but before doing so he wanted to speak to the owner and tell him exactly why he would no longer be getting his business. Understand that this owner didn’t just sell gas; he sold parts, batteries, mechanic services, oil changes and more.

He explained, “Before I was a regular customer you bent over backwards to give me great service and then when you thought I was hooked, you gave all your attention to getting new customers”. I’ll paraphrase by saying, “You didn’t check my oil and battery and would forget to clean my windshield. You even left the gas cap on top of the pump 3 times and one time I didn’t notice it was gone until I was 200 miles away and then had to buy a new one”.

“Then one time I came back to get my car for a grease and oil job and it wasn’t done because you put other customer’s work ahead of mine. And then you tried to slough it off by saying that you didn’t think I’d be by because, after all I don’t really work; I just sit at home and write all day” (He is the author of the book).

The author goes on to tell us readers that Max his former mechanic/service station/business owner no longer was a business owner who owned his patronage because he forgot that the best way to get a new customer is to pay attention to and keep your old customers happy.
I’m sure you made note of transgressions made by Max in our story, but I’d like to point out a few of the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Image result for bad customer service First let me point out that many, many (did I say many?) of your customers will simply vanish without a trace like a Wednesday detective rerun and not telling you why. This author gave Max a “gift” by expressing his discontent. Perhaps Max could have done something to “save the day” but the way it sounds, he had his chances and failed miserably; especially by insulting his customer insinuating he just sat on his butt all day without a job. It is to be considered a “gift” when one learns from the episode and makes positive changes to see that this doesn’t become a Nick at Night Classic.

Another thing I’d like you to note is that Max bent over backward until the customer was “hooked” like a fish on a line. He thought he was in the boat but he got away! That’s like many real estate agents (and sales people in general), we work hard to get a customer and then we get so busy with business; not even getting new customers, but just the business of everyday tasks and putting out fires to keep our customers happy. With today’s automation, opportunities for delegation and time management practices, this doesn’t have to be the norm.

I hope you’ll visualize this story and bring it forward to the present and think about similar situations in your business and develop safeguards to ensure that your customers are treated well. And remember, “Make new friends but keep the old; one is silver and the other gold”.

Ter Scott, Bricks and Clicks Marketing Consultant©

You may use this article in whole or part with credit given to: terscott.com. Ter Scott is a private business consultant and public speaker covering services and topics about money, marketing and motivation. You may contact him using this form.




Internet CRM & Marketing Software
Easy to Use CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment