Ter Scott’s No Fee Policy on Consulting and Creative Services


Because I’m known across America as a consultant, coach; and graphic designer to some big concerns, my time is NOT any more valuable than anyone else, but I must be judicious in how I use my hours. I welcome all to apply for a donation of my time and services, however please adhere to the following “policy”.

If you are reading this, there’s a good chance that you’ve requested me and my company to donate my time or services. If not, consider this a notice that I am available to do so from time to time (in case you are interested) but I must abide by some rules or as with any business person, I will spread myself too thin and will be useless (“ used less”) by others who deserve my attention.

If you are a consultant, graphic artist or anyone who bills for your time, feel free to use this. If you can add anything, do so in the comment section.

So you would like me to donate my services…

I may be able to do so, however …

  • I must have the details; all or as much as you can give me, your organization, contact information, what is the project about and more.
  • What is your timeline? Please don’t expect me to do a “rush” on anything which will be on a “no-fee” or “donation” basis. Clients who request this usually pay more for that luxury. If you ask me to speak to fill in for someone who canceled at the last minute, if I am available it will be for full price.
  • If this is for graphic design, I must know everything about where the image will be placed, what size of imprint, where will it be placed and used.
  • Have some skin in the game; what are you offering at no fee or on a donation basis?
  • If my work will be for your project, how far along are you toward completion? I do not want to invest time to complete something only to have you not complete your part and my work not be used. If this ever happens, just once; please don’t bother asking me for anything in the future. Just be sure that you will complete your end. Often I will agree to do something on a donation or no fee basis with the stipulation that if my work and time is not used that I will be paid for my time, work and service.
  • Please also know that just because my work will be used as a donation that I cannot “do less” because I am paid less; or not at all. I will probably not create as many pre designs (if this is for graphic art services) but you will receive my very best that I can do within the limitations of the project.
  • I will make no or very few revisions so it is important to know exactly what you want from the outset and what you get is what you get (which will definitely be better than most alternatives). 
  • If other vendors, creatives and others will be paid for contributing to the project, don’t ask me to donate my time and talent.
  • If you are a friend, I understand all about favors and helping one another but please don’t forget that I am a professional just like your doctor, dentist, mechanic, plumber and neighbor who is a remodeling contractor.


I remember an incident from years ago when during the after church “coffee get together” with the guys talking to each other and one would say that he needed his car looked at to a friend who was a mechanic. Another asked about remodeling a bathroom to a friend who was a remodeling contractor.. They both expected to pay; perhaps to maybe get a “friend” discount but to pay something just the same. Then one would say to me, “I need a poster done; you don’t have to spend a lot of time on it”.

If that is you, please don’t insult me like that; it won’t get you my time at a reduced rate, donated or at all. What I do it talent and intellectual property. If it was so easy, you’d do it yourself or settle for the “software” that creates images but without the human intellect which moves emotions and gets you business; garbage in, garbage out. (If your customer or client is a computer, create your logo using computer software. If you customer or client is a human, have a human create it; with the aid of computer software). 

If all of this sounds a bit like a "rant" it isn't really, just a business person speaking as such. 

I love creating art, graphic design, consulting and speaking. I love giving more value than expected. And, I would love to donate something for your cause when I can, when you provide as much detail as possible and when you value what I do.

Ter Scott

............................

BTW: I am having a great time going through a great program by one of my mentors, Jeff Lerner. This is the exact program I'm doing and I wouldn't recommend it unless I was and I knew it was phenomenal. He is offering it (not for free but) at a reduced price when you click here






No comments:

Post a Comment